Thursday, 12 April 2012

Home caking: the Red-Eyed Rabbit

Welcome to the first of our reader contribution stories, in which I showcase other people's triumphs and misfortunes with The Book. Because it's not all about me, people, really, it's not.

After Sunday's Easter egg-stravaganza (I really can't help myself) the lovely Kirsten has sent in a picture of her own rabbit cake.

But before we get to the cake itself, I must take a moment to solicit your advice. Naming this series naturally requires some sort of horrific pun in order to really make it work.

I've been tossing up between "Home Caking", and "I Caked It Myself". What do YOU prefer? I will bow to your infinite wisdom.

Anyway, enough of the name - now for the cake.

Kirsten writes:

"We did this cake last year, for my daughter's fourth birthday, but didn't add the coconut- just left it with Vienna Cream. Oh, and we had leftover cake coming out of our EARS. It's amazing how much cake you need!

I mainly remember being 8.5 months pregnant and looking rather tearfully at all the cake that still had to be iced, and my husband sending me to bed while he decorated it. He was up till 1am, God bless him. But our daughter Laura loved her cake!

P.S. the scary red eyes were his decision."

Kirsten, I love your cake. And your pun on EARS - you are a woman after my own heart. I especially love that you even contemplated baking something like this in such a late stage of pregnancy. Me, I'd have been lying on my side on the floor, eating pineapple and spicy food and desperately hoping for contractions. But you, you were in the kitchen! Baking!

Dear Kirsten's husband, you deserve a medal for completing this cake on behalf of your tearful wife. It's a brave man who takes on last-minute emergency icing in the middle of the night.

So I totally endorse your decision on the red eyes. You and the damn rabbit were both awake until 1am. Anyone's eyes would be red after a superhuman effort like that.

Bravo, Kirsten and Kirsten's husband, bravo.


2 comments:

  1. Personally "I caked it myself" has my vote - sounds like it has more leeway for mishaps but also a ring of pride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "I caked it myself". Although, in Kirsten's case, maybe it should be "I caked it all night long" (with apologies to AC/DC)!!

    ReplyDelete

Say something sweet! Or, you know, not.