Wednesday, 18 April 2012

My Slutty Dolly Varden

Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday to ME,
Happy birthday dear meeee-eeeee,
Happy birthday to me!

In honour of this auspicious occasion, I made the Dolly Varden cake. And I've got to ask the question: is it just me, or have Dolly Vardens gotten a lot sluttier since I was a girl?

Here's the backstory: I always admired the Dolly Varden cake when I was younger, but it my father would never make it for me. He didn't explain why, exactly (sends the wrong message? too pink and sugary?), he just never did.

So I decided that for my birthday today I would make it myself. Off I went to buy my Dolly Varden cake tin. That's how famous this kind of cake has become, it's got its own tin named after it.

And of course I would need a Dolly Varden doll to go with it. I had always thought it was just a complete doll stuck into the cake - so it was a surprise to find out that you can actually buy a mutilated half-doll that has a single stump where her legs should be.

Now, The Book has a delightful photo of the Dolly Varden cake. The doll herself is sweet and cherubic, with plump little arms and an adorably innocent face. Here she is.



That's what I had in my head when I trotted off to purchase my own version. What I was met with though, was anything but sweet and cherubic.

I searched high and low, but Dolly Vardens have changed in the intervening 30 years since The Book was released. Dolly Vardens have gone on sex-appeal steroids. Dear god.

Apparently you cannot buy innocence anymore. Although as I'm writing that sentence I realise that actually I'm quite wrong, because you can, if you're in, say, Thailand or the Philippines. (Have I gone too far? Have I?)

Anyway, I was spoilt for choice. I could have bought any one of the following:
  • Pole-Dancing Dolly Varden
  • Las Vegas Showgirl Dolly Varden
  • Tiny Prostitute Dolly Varden, or 
  • Slutty Dolly Varden, which is the one I chose. 

I do not endorse her. Are these dolls really appropriate for children? Oh god, I've turned into my mother.


Pursing my lips in disapproval (I get you now, dad) I dressed her up in her pink ribbon and stuck a flower in at her waist, just like the picture in The Book except about 20 years older and light-years away in terms of ahem, experience.

She did not look innocent and cherubic like the picture in The Book. She did, however, look perfect for a night out at the Logies or the Brownlow.

My Slutty Dolly Varden could also have taken a lesson from the red carpet and put on some Hollywood tape to avoid an accidental wardrobe malfunction that occurred when I started to cut her up in the office, but hey - you can't have everything. You can see her "dress" just starting to slip in this picture.


And look, at the end of the day - irrespective of the seck-syoo-al innuendo that My Slutty Dolly Varden  brought with her - she was an absolute smash hit in the office. With red velvet cake inside and cream cheese icing outside, there was not a scrap of her left within about seven minutes.

THAT is the measure of baking success. Happy birthday to me!



9 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Love it! Loving the humor along with the cakes! X
    keepingupwiththekalafiore.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one trampy cake. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dolly Varden cake looks very nice, but I just can't understand the allure of a doll stuck in a cake (whether she has legs or not). She just reminds me of those toilet roll covers my great-grandmother used to make... Happy Birthday! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly what I did for my birthday. I made a doll-cake too. Used a bit sweet looking doll and stuck her in with legs and all. These days she's sitting naked on my kitchen bench (I can't find her clothes anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, I can completely see Brynne Edelstein wearing that at the next Brownlow. :D

    You did brilliantly once again- but what happened to the swimming pool cake? Or are you saving that for next birthday?

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny! I made one of these for my daughter for her 4th birthday and resorted to a Dollar Shop Barbie shoved in the cake. Pictures on my blog at http://angesramblings.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/theres-4-year-old-living-at-my-place.html if you want a laugh at the post consumption photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe - another old favourite!! My sister got this for one of her birthday parties!!!
    Happy Birthday too by the way FGH - we are all on the downslide to that dreaded significant number, aren't we?
    Love the cake. Are you having fun?
    And I have to ask - how many kgs have you and your work colleagues put on in the past few weeks????
    Ness x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving this cake challenge : ) You know I have a weakness for cakes and baking or anything that requires a vintage apron to be worn. I've shared your challenge over on my blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see this Slutty Dolly Varden has touched you, readers! Euw, I don't mean like that. But I must say, she has been a spectacular baking and blogging success. She went down a treat in the office. Oops, I mean, my colleagues just ate her up. Oh gosh, sorry - I just can't help myself!

    ReplyDelete

Say something sweet! Or, you know, not.