Monday, 2 May 2016

The Big Butterfly Birthday Fail Cake

Sometimes, despite all your best efforts, you f*ck it up.

Such is the case of the Big Butterfly Birthday Fail Cake.

Oh the cake itself was fantastic, if I do say so myself. Look at that replication! It was slightly wonky on the big round wing, I obviously cut a little too sharply there when it should have been a smooth delicious curve. It's a bit pointier than it should be. But I'm very pleased that I got the sweets just right, even down to the olde schoole fat pink jelly beans that I specially sourced.


So where did I go wrong, if the execution was fine?

I made this cake for a colleague of mine. Let's call her Colleague #1. She had told me about her birthday MONTHS before, and mentioned how she liked butterflies.

I carefully noted this down. I kept the secret hugged tightly to my chest, knowing that I would make this cake and bring it in to the office and blow her mind.

The day came. I'd made the cake carefully over the weekend. I sneaked it into the office, past her desk so that she wouldn't see it until she went into the kitchen. I wrote up the happy birthday sign and placed it all 'just so' on the kitchen table.

As I was doing all of this, congratulating myself for having executed the plan so fantastically, Colleague #2 came in and exclaimed at the wondrous beauty of the cake - which as you can see, I even arranged on a special red background to match the picture in the book. I told this colleague the details of the story.

And then Colleague #2 informed me that Colleague #1 WAS HAVING THE DAY OFF.








1 comment:

  1. You poor thing! The cake looks great, sorry colleague 1 was off, that must have been painful to hear for you and colleague 1 when they going out what they'd missed!

    ReplyDelete

Say something sweet! Or, you know, not.